Film production is very costly. Careful budgeting is essential to controlling production costs, as well procuring capital. The financial plan shows how many financial resources are devoted to what types of productions. Typical German film funding agency include:
- Loans or Grants from Film Funds
- pre-selling the distribution rights to TV broadcasting companies
- Guaranteed distribution revenues from DVD rentals, International distribution sales or other sales and distribution options (e.g. DVD sales, PayTV)
- Co-production deals (Foreign)
- Utilizing the Production Company's own capital or that of the Producer
The financing plan lists the totals of each individual financing participation. The total being the film's total budget. The financing plan also accounts for returns / revenues from the distribution of the film, which the funding partners then divide.